Sound Experience is a diagnostic ultrasound imaging company with a focus on providing a timely and high quality service to our referrers and their patients. We want to get to know our referrers so that we are able to effectively communicate with each other to get the best outcome for the patient. Diagnostic ultrasound imaging is a passion and we are actively involved in ultrasound training, education, and research.
I have achieved 10,000 hrs in a number of fields in diagnostic ultrasound. I am mindful of what I do and know that the diagnosis requires knowledge not just the ultrasound scan findings but also the history of what has happened to you and clinical findings. I strive to work closely with the clinicians who refer patients to me, so that the best results will be achieved.
I started ultrasound scanning in 1989 at Green Lane Hospital following graduating as a radiographer. I then completed my Master of Science degree in Clinical Ultrasound at South Bank University London while on my OE working at Kings College Hospital. At Kings I was very lucky to be working with Dr Hylton Meire, Radiologist who pioneered the use of ultrasound in radiology. He believed that if you are going to do the scan then you would also need to write the final report. This is a rare thing for a sonographer to be doing, but a great way to learn the craft of diagnosis using ultrasound. At the same time I worked with Professor Stuart Campbell an Obstetrician, who trained with Professor Ian Donald the inventor of Obstetric ultrasound, and has been responsible for world leading research and training in Obstetric ultrasound. I still have the uncashed cheque signed by Professor Campbell from my first teaching job for lecturing on one of his ultrasound courses. Since then teaching ultrasound has been what I have done. I learned a valuable lesson that through preparation, presentation and questioning the teacher learns the most.
Returning to New Zealand I have worked at National Women’s and Starship Hospitals. I was charge sonographer at Waitemata Health and the past 10 years I have been running my own business contracting to a private radiology company. I have been specialising in musculoskeletal ultrasound by working closely with physiotherapists, osteopaths, and specialist doctors. I have undergone further training achieving a Post Graduate Certificate in Sports Medicine at The University of Auckland.
- 1986 – 1988 Trained as a Radiographer at Green Lane Hospital.
- 1992 Kings College Hospital, London began training in Diagnostic Ultrasound.
- 1996 Returned to New Zealand to work as a sonographer at National Women’s Hospital.
- 1998 Started working as a sonographer at Starship Children’s Hospital.
- 1999 Team Leader Ultrasound Department, Waitemata District Health Board.
- 2000 MSc. Clinical Ultrasound, South Bank University, London.
- 2004 Director Sound Experience Limited, performing private ultrasound scanning and delivering training workshops.
- 2007 Director Ultrasound Projects Limited, delivering Rehabilitative Ultrasound courses.
- Sept 2009 – Oct. 2010 Lecturer for the Australasian Sonographers Association Musculoskeletal Travelling Workshops from in New Zealand and Australia.
An Otago Medical graduate taught as a senior lecturer at the University of Otago before becoming Director of Radiology at Dunedin Hospital. After more than 10 years in public health Brett now works between Sydney and Auckland where he specialises in MRI and musculoskeletal imaging and intervention.